Cricket used to be a traditional game that relied mainly on the test and one-day internationals for a long time. Fortunately, this is not the case anymore. The invention of twenty20 cricket exploded cricket leagues all over the world including the Caribbean, India, New Zealand, and Australia. The latest entry to these competitions comes from South Africa.
Mzansi Super League (MSL) started in 2018 and soon it garnered interest from cricket lovers and experts alike. It is set to be the biggest domestic league for South Africa. And why not? Most of the cricketing giants are flaunting their T20 leagues; CPL, BBL, IPL, PSL, and now its MSL.
Best MSL betting sites
- Betway: The official betting partner for MSL, Betway is licensed and regulated by the British Gambling Commission. Founded in 2006, it’s one of the biggest bookmaking brands offering all the cricket leagues to bet. It has effective player support and an attractive welcome bonus that you can enjoy as a new user. The betting brand also has a smartphone app that allows you to try your luck even when you are not in front of the computer.
Welcome Bonus: 100% on the first deposit, up to 2, 500 INR
2. Bet365: You must have seen Bet365 ads, especially if you are living in the UK. According to the ad, the bookmakers claim to be the favorite online sports betting company. And we can say that they are arguably right because Bet365 has millions of loyal cricket punters across the globe. If you want to bet on MSL, then it’s one of the best websites to try.
Welcome Bonus: 15 % of the qualifying deposit, up to 4, 000 INR
3. 10Cric: Another international bookmaker that offers competitive odds when we talk about MSL betting. 10Cric is one of the best cricket betting sites for Indian punters. The bookmaker accepts INR and lets you bet on multiple other leagues apart from MSL. If you are an Indian resident who needs an easy to use online betting site that can offer fast deposits and withdrawals, then 10Cric deserves your attention.
Welcome Bonus: Up to 10, 000 INR on your first deposit
4. ComeOn: Started in 2010, ComeOn is a modern gambling platform that offers cricket betting on all the major leagues including MSL. Its website is built with a user-friendly approach, which is helpful if you are a new punter. Live betting is another impressive feature.
Welcome Bonus: 100% deposit up to 10, 000 INR/ Free bets worth 1, 000 INR
5. Funbet: If you prefer to bet on cricket, then trying Funbet is not a bad idea. It’s a secure online bookie that gives you a safe and secure platform to enjoy betting on all the cricket leagues and other matches including T20, ODI, and tests. Moreover, it offers competitive odds and a wide variety of betting options in cricket and many other sports including soccer, tennis, basketball, ice hockey, and football.
Welcome Bonus: 100% bonus up to 10, 000 INR
6. 1xBet: A global betting brand, 1XBet is active since 2011. Because of its higher odds, fast withdrawals, top-notch live streaming, and user-friendly website, 1xBet is one of the favorites among cricket gamblers. Plus, the brand also has a smartphone app that works fast and allows you to try your luck on the move.
Welcome Bonus: 100% on your first deposit
Mzansi Super League comprises a total of 6 teams currently, but 2 new teams will also be included in 2021. The first edition of MSL started on Nov 16 2018 and ended on Dec 16. As you can see, the tournament finished within only 4 weeks. But, it’s the beauty of T20 cricket; cricket fans wait for it with utmost excitement.
MSL begins with a double round-robin format, then there is a knockout stage called playoffs before the final game. Everything is managed by Cricket South Africa or the United Cricket Board of South Africa, which is the governing body for any cricket matches taking place inside SA. If you are curious, the word Mzansi stands for South. It comes from isiXhosa.
Mzansi Super League 2019 Team Preview
The league consists of 6 teams right now. Each of them participates with a squad of 18 players in total wherein only up to 5 international cricketers are allowed.
1. Paarl Rocks
Faf du Plessis will lead Parl Rocks again in the MSL 2021. This team has JP Duminy who was not available in 2019 due to a hamstring injury, but he will be seen in the next edition. Hardus Viljoen is another notable player that can add more power to the pace attack. Isuru Udana is has a habit of performing when the team needs it. The bowling all-rounder was a center of attraction in MSL 2019 because he got a marriage proposal from one of his fans.
Rocks are the current MSL champion. In 2019, the team finished on the top with 27 points, 6 wins, 3 losses, and 1 match was counted in No result. It was a team effort because Faf du Plessis was not in form, but still, he displayed magnificent captaincy to win the league’s maiden title.
2. Tshwane Spartans
With a player like AB de Villiers, Tshwane Spartans can be one of the favorites in the next season. And why not? They were the runner up in MSL 2019. Morne Morkel is another threat the team has. He can destroy any batting unit. Heinrich Klaasen is not at his best, but we cannot doubt his captaincy skills. Waqar Salamkheil is young and talented, but an inexperienced player. Overall, you can try betting on Spartans after watching their performance in first few matches.
3. Nelson Mandela Bay Giants
Led by JJ Smuts, Bay Giants has experienced bowlers like Imran Tahir and Jason Roy. Chris Morris and Farhaan Behardien are capable all-rounders and pace bowlers like Junior Dala, Nandre Burger, and Beuran Hendricks can provide early breakthroughs. Burger has shown potential in the last season of MSL. And we are expecting him to perform better in the upcoming league.
Ben Dunk was the leading run-scorer in the last edition of IPL. Heino Kuhn has shown great batting performance in the same. Marco Marais and Matthew Breetzke can do well. Grant Thomson and Onke Nyaku are the other two bowling all-rounders that can be helpful.
Bay Giant has struggled to win the playoffs. Otherwise, the team could have finished as a runner up in the last MSL. They have finished in third place with 6 wins, 3 losses, and 1 with no result. However, it all went in vain when the giant saw defeat by the Spartans. This is the team that has the batsman with top runs as well as the bowler with maximum wickets. Dunk scored 415 runs in 10 innings and Tahir has taken 17 wickets in MSL 2019. We have to wait and see what happens in MSL 2021.
4. Durban Heat
Even with talented batsmen like Alex Hales, David Miller, and Ravi Bopara, Durban Heat managed to win only 3 matches in the last season. They have quality bowlers like Kyle Abbott and Khaya Zondo. Even the all-rounders were ineffective. We never expected much from Andile Phehlukwayo and Keshav Maharaj, but they were never able to win matches. 5 out of their 10 matches were no result. So, they finished the MSL 2019 in 4th position.
Durban Heat performed even worse in the MSL 2018 by winning mere 3 matches and losing 6 of them. The team won the last two matches and earned some pride, but that couldn’t save them from standing at the bottom. We need to wait and see if or can they bounce back in the upcoming league.
5. Cape Town Blitz
Quinton de Kock will lead the Blitz again, even after the dismal MSL 2019. Liam Livingstone and Asif Ali tried well, but the consistency was lacking. Janneman Malan was wonderful, we hope he continues the same form and wins some more matches. Dale Steyn is one of the most dangerous bowlers in the world, but he cannot change every match. Anrich Nortje needs to perform better if Blitz needs to win more games.
6. Jozi Sars
Chris Gayle has left Jozi Sars after the 6th game of MSL 2019. Shoiab Malik will replace Gayle, but the former cannot hit big sixes. Kagiso Rabada was lethal with the bowl in the last season and we expect him to be more dangerous in the upcoming league.
Temba Bavuma is not a very experienced captain, but he can do better. Dan Christian can help with the bowl like he is already doing. Reeza Hendricks has done more than his fans wanted. But, Rassie van der Dussen was never able to make any mark. Jozi Stars have not won any game in MSL 2019. So, you need to wait for their performance and then try your luck accordingly.
Mzansi Super League Live Streaming
Bet365 and Betway have the best MSL live streaming services. Both of the websites allow you to easily switch between live-action and the betting world. If you don’t have a computer, then you can download their apps and watch real-time action on your smartphone.
When does the Mzansi super league start?
Originally, MSL was supposed to happen in November 2020 but was canceled/postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. New dates for the 2021 season is not decided yet.
Who won the Mzansi super league 2019?
Paarl Rocks beat Tshwane Spartans in MSL 2019. AB De Villiers played some sublime shots in his 51 runs that came out only from 37 balls. But, Henry David overshadowed ABD by scoring 77 runs off 44 deliveries.
Who will win MSL 2021?
Paarl Rocks will be the favorites again in the next season. They won six matches and lost only 3 in MSL 2019.
How to watch Mzansi super league online?
Apart from live streaming betting sites and apps, you can also watch MSL on the SonyLIV website and app.
Mzansi Super League Social Media
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MzansiSuperLeagueT20/
- Instagram: instagram.com/mzansisuperleague/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MSL_T20
As we told you earlier, the schedule for MSL 2021 is yet to be decided. Most probably, it will take place anywhere in October or November. The two new teams will add to the overall excitement. So, we cannot wait to enjoy the thrill and excitement of MSL betting.
Can Faf Du Plessis defend the title? Or we might see Jozi Stars leading from the front. You cannot avoid Tshwane Spartans as well. Well, we need to wait for some more months for all the answers. No matter who wins the league, but cricket gamblers will have their part of the fun.
Shon Miller is a professional online sports bettor and trader with over 10 years of experience in the industry. He worked with numerous online bookmakers including Bet365, Betway, and William Hill. With this long experience, now he has decided to share his experience with other betting aspirants like you. Know more at the about me page.